Thursday, February 7, 2013

Finding Contentment

I don't have a lot of time to write before my sick Ruby wakes up from her nap, but I need to share what's on my heart. I started a study of Ruth with a women's Bible study at church yesterday. I am already loving it so much as well as learning and feeling convicted. I am embarrassed to admit how often I lose sight of the beautiful inheritance I have in Jesus Christ. I mean, I have been given eternal life, at a high cost to the God of the universe. Yet, I find room to whine, complain, and feel discontent? This is a horrible problem I have been facing for the past few weeks - being discontent. Feeling as though I am not as blessed as other people I know, and that somehow God has forgotten about me / doesn't care for my needs. I am making my stand now to say that I lack absolutely nothing, but am abundantly blessed. Even if I was never given another gift for the rest of my life, I have been so incredibly blessed by my Savior and Lord. He is my portion, and I need nothing more. Discontentment has no room in my life when I have been given grace so freely.

Psalm 16

Preserve me, O God, for in you I take refuge.
I say to the Lord, “You are my Lord;
    I have no good apart from you.”
As for the saints in the land, they are the excellent ones,
    in whom is all my delight.
The sorrows of those who run after another god shall multiply;
    their drink offerings of blood I will not pour out
    or take their names on my lips.
The Lord is my chosen portion and my cup;
    you hold my lot.

The lines have fallen for me in pleasant places;
    indeed, I have a beautiful inheritance.
I bless the Lord who gives me counsel;
    in the night also my heart instructs me.
I have set the Lord always before me;
    because he is at my right hand, I shall not be shaken.
Therefore my heart is glad, and my whole being rejoices;
    my flesh also dwells secure.
10 For you will not abandon my soul to Sheol,
    or let your holy one see corruption.
11 You make known to me the path of life;
    in your presence there is fullness of joy;
    at your right hand are pleasures forevermore.


The italics are added by me, those are the parts of this passage that are really blessing my souls right now. I am so thankful to be reminded by scripture and the Holy Spirit that He is my everything, and that he holds my life in his hand. Thank You, Jesus, for caring for me! Thank you for offering me eternal life and drawing me to Yourself. Remind me that You are my portion each and everyday, and because of that I need nothing more. Thank You for giving me joy!

1 comment:

Florida Life said...

Love it, B! Great reminder.