Wednesday, January 14, 2009

A Dream Coming to Reality

Over the past few months, it has become really big on my heart to move toward becoming a midwife as kind of my life calling. After lots of prayer and doubts and being scared about it etc, I have gotten clearer and clearer confirmation that this is something I will not only be good at, but also a way for me to bring glory to the Creator. To test out the waters, I have enrolled in a doula training course at Bates Technical College in Tacoma, WA. I am so stoked! It is a 40-hour intensive course (only two full weekends long) with lots of text, hands on training, and a test taken to become certified. (Plus attending several births and another short course). By the way, a doula is different from a midwife! A doula assists the mother emotionally during birth, remaining relaxed and setting the atmosphere of the whole labor experience. She helps the mother also with breathing, and working through the pain naturally and healthfully rather than turning to drugs. So, a doula does not actually catch the baby when it is delivered, but helps the momma a lot. It is kind of a way of getting my foot in the Midwifery door, perhaps I will just stay a doula for a while!
So.. to all my Expecting friends out there, if you have ever considered a doula, or are now looking into it at all, LET ME KNOW! It would help me work toward my future career / ministry and it would also help you have a healthy and relaxing birth experience. :-)


On another note, yesterday was such an amazing day for me. I got to go out to Monmouth to visit my lil sister at WOU. She had 4 hours of free time in between classes, so I treated her to Dutch Bros. and we went to the river and took photos for a while. I love it there. I just love Oregon, actually. Ya'll probably have me on facebook, so I don't need to upload many photos from it, but here are a few. I love her.



3 comments:

Kesha Thomas said...

That is so exciting for you! Will you stay up in Tacoma for that few weeks?

Britney said...

The course is only during the weekends, so I am staying up there with my sister over the weekends, and coming home the week in between. :-)

I am so excited!

LittleMissLeah said...

I'm so excited for you: ) It sounds like a really fun job and perfect for you: ) I happened to run past this ad on craigslist and thought of you. It seems like a really good deal on a lot of books. I hope it helps: )
http://salem.craigslist.org/bks/995474036.html