Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Little Update

Today I had another appointment at the birth center. I am 40 weeks and 4 days pregnant... was hoping not to have to go to an appointment this late, but that's how it goes. :) Rather than one hour, the appointment was about one and a half hours long. Baby Ruby is in the absolute perfect position - left occiput anterior. This means her head is perfectly lined up in my birth canal, not crooked at all and she's ready to go. Almost 100% engaged. The midwife, Carmen, checked me at the end and stripped my membranes again. I am a very flexible 3 cm, almost 4. She was really impressed with how cooperative my cervix was. :) She could feel Ruby's head bobbling out of confusion as she stripped my membranes. Something kind of weird came up, and that is the size of my baby. Not feeling as big as she seemed to last week at the appointment, but still big. Just to take precautions, I am getting an ultrasound today to gage about how big she is. Not that this is really a risk at all, but it should help the midwives know what type of positions to put me in while I'm laboring as to not have shoulder dystocia issues. (Her shoulder getting lodged in my pubic bone). Again, this isn't an issue that a midwife can't handle. Usually hospitals send you to a c-section so they don't have to worry about having you deliver in a "not preferred position." (On your back). But midwives know all the tricks...
That said, in about one hour I'll be getting a peek at Miss Ruby via ultrasound. Not as good as the real thing, but I'll take it. And that's all for now, folks!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think it's so awesome that baby Ruby is That healthy and in perfect position! God does some great wounders!

Unknown said...

I am super jealous that you got a 3D ultrasound! ;) So cool!

Vanessa said...

So looking forward to reading your birth experience!! I hope it was everything you expected!