Sunday, March 15, 2009

Clean Heart v. Clean Shirt

I don't know if anyone else has this problem or not, but it's something that's been coming to my attention a lot lately. I get so caught up Sunday mornings getting ready and stressing out about how much time I have left before I need to leave for church. Yet the Lord reminds me every time that it's not about that. It's not about looking great for others to see, but about preparing my heart for an encounter with Him. A high school leader of mine one time said, "I think God prefers a clean heart over a clean shirt." It's true. So why, time after time, am I concerned about who will be at church to visit with, or how good my makeup looks?

Another time I was in such a hurry to make it to church on time that I was so focused on the road and the person driving in front of me. Soon the Lord reminded me to stop and look up at the blue skies, white clouds and beautiful green trees that He created for our enjoyment. I feel like He told me "why are you in such a hurry to make it on time, that you're stressing, and not even remembering that I am with you right now." Basically that I can be in fellowship with Him and I don't need to wait until I get to the church building. That's just something I've been thinking a lot about. Bless you!

2 comments:

drummergirl said...

That's really insightful. It is so true that God cares more about a clean heart than a clean shirt.

Anonymous said...

I feel the sam way too!
The thing I don't like about our church is that everyone always looks at your clothes, not your heart.
It's kind of a bummer but I don't take long to dress anyway.
I wish their prospective changed but that's less likely.
Good subject though!