Monday, October 29, 2012

Grandma


Today was my grandmother's funeral. It has been quite a flood of emotions being here for this, but I am so thankful that we were able to make the trip. My grandmother, in years past, has completely filled my mind with memories. Memories between me and her, and memories of hers from long ago. I am so blessed to be able to cherish these memories and carry them with me for the rest of my life.

Grandma Miller really left behind quite a legacy. I have become re-inspired to be the most productive, working at home, mother and wife that I possibly can be. She did it all. She was an incredible hostess, always ironing the lenins, stocking the pantry with treats for us grand kids, having menus planned for every meal of every day that she had guests. She even made goodie boxes for us kids to welcome us into her home. While grandpa did most of the cooking, she had everything planned and loved baking with us grandkids.

Grandma had 4 children of her own, 3 sons and 1 daughter. She has 8 grandkids now, 12 great-grandkids, and 2 great-great grandkids. She was faithfully married to one man for going on 71 years. They were married in the church they met at, on Christmas day, at ages 19 and 20. The absolute worst part of saying goodbye to her, is watching the heartache that my grandpa is facing. He did not sleep at all last night (before the funeral). He has no motivation to eat. He said tonight that this past week has been "lousy" for him, and that it was so hard to see his girl go. He calls her "my girl." I had never seen him or my dad (except maybe once or twice) cry before this weekend. One of the hardest things I've seen. His love for her is a very beautiful thing, and he feels incomplete without her. Sleeping alone after 70 years is absolutely terrible, according to him.

The beautiful thing about this weekend is that so much family, from around the country, have come to be a part of this. We spent the whole day with grandpa today after the funeral reminiscing and enjoying each other's company. It was such a blessing to see everyone and catch up with them. I hate that we can't be with my grandpa 24/7, but it is what it is.

In closing, I want to share the hymn that was my grandma's favorite and that was sung beautifully today at her funeral.

 "In The Garden"

I come to the garden alone
While the dew is still on the roses
And the voice I hear falling on my ear
The Son of God discloses.

And He walks with me, and He talks with me,
And He tells me I am His own; 
And the joy we share as we tarry there, 
None other has ever known.

He speaks, and the sound of His voice, Is so sweet the birds hush their singing, And the melody that He gave to me Within my heart is ringing. I’d stay in the garden with Him Though the night around me be falling, But He bids me go; through the voice of woe His voice to me is calling.

No comments: