Thursday, June 9, 2011

How it began. :)


So, I haven't journaled or blogged anything, really, so far about the excitement of this pregnancy. I really want to before I forget details and fun facts. Here's the story of the very very beginning. :)

For starters, Brian and I thought it would be hilarious if we pulled an "April fools" on facebook telling everybody we were pregnant. We got a good friend (Nichole Haverland - our wedding photographer) who was 5 months pregnant at the time, to take a pregnancy test for our prank. So she did, and late the night before April 1st, we posted a couple of pics. One up close of the positive pregnancy test and one of us holding it, with excited faces. We wanted to get it up the night before to make it more "realistic." Well, that plan worked, unfortunately. We were immediately flooded with phone calls, texts, and all sorts of comments on facebook. Everyone was SO excited for us. It was funny at first, then we started feeling a little bit guilty. Then when a good friend from church texted me saying "I am praying for you and your baby!!!!!" - I lost it. I felt like the meanest person on earth!! So, we immediately took it down and told everyone the truth on facebook. We got so many comments about being the person who cries wolf, yadda yadda.

Now, as most of you know about me, I have wanted to be a mom since the day I was born. I was ready on our honeymoon to start having babies, but we committed to two years. Two years quickly changed to one year, and we were both ok with that. Well, right around the time of our April fools joke we *ahem* didn't watch our birth control method too closely, and God blessed us with a little "April fools" miracle. He thought it would be funny to pull the trick on us - which it was. And I am ever so thankful.

About one week to one and 1/2 weeks after the April fools joke, I was feeling nauseated all the time at work. I worked at Great Harvest bakery, and none of the freshly baked goods smelled good to me. Everything smelled horrendous and strong. One day while helping a customer who seemed to be taking FOREVER making up their mind, I got the watery mouth. I got so antsy, I wanted them to hurry up and make up their mind or I was running to the bathroom. I think I may have rushed them a little bit by my antsy-ness, and we finished up their transaction. At that point I knew something weird was going on. Either I was sick with some kind of mild flu that wouldn't come full force, or ...... I....... was........... pregnant? I really didn't think that was an option, though I wished it was.

A day or two after the customer incident I was grocery shopping and decided to throw a pregnancy test in the mix - a two pack, in fact. I went home, took it immediately, and it was negative. So then I was confused - what the heck? I'm never nauseous. I waited two days, wasn't feeling any better, so decided to take the other one in the pack. Brian kind of rolled his eyes a little bit at me for being so obsessive. But I needed to get to the bottom of this nausea! I took it while he was out running errands, set it down and didn't look at it for a little bit. Suddenly, TWO lines showed up!!!! I wept immediately. I prayed out loud to God, thanking Him, while trying to figure out how that was possible. I called Brian right away and said "When are you coming home?" "pretty soon babe, what's up?" "well, I have something to show you." "Did you take another pregnancy test? Are we pregnant?" "(weeping) YES!" "Praise the Lord!! I'll be home soon!" - What a loving supportive husband, I LOVED his response. He came home, we snuggled, prayed for our baby, then went out for food and prenatal vitamins. So the story began. When we found out, we were about 3.5 weeks along (gestation) - very early.

That's the beginning of this sweet journey. I am now done working at Great Harvest, because the mornings were killing me along with the smells. I will be helping my best friend Tara (blog.selaphotography.com ) with weddings all summer long, which will tide us over financially. Then I'll have lots of time to nest and prepare for Baby Bradley (who I'm positive is a girl). I'm so happy for this season of life, I could not ask for more.

Thanks for reading! That was long! :)


Here I am, 11 weeks 3 days. Not totally baby here, but the baby is helping make my tummy a bit bigger than normal. :)

No comments: