Tuesday, May 6, 2008

"I'm glad you're my daughter"

Oh I am blessed. Although my family is not perfect by any means, I am so thankful for how wonderful my childhood was. Being in YWAM I have been exposed to a lot of people with huge hurts from their childhoods and a big thing is the relationship with their earthly fathers. I have never been so grateful for my dad until I came here and realized what a wonderful, God fearing, Jesus like man my dad is. In the words of my half brother, Kevin "I don't think there is a dishonest bone in Donn's body. He is so upright and would never hurt anyone." My dad has truly shown me and my siblings Jesus' unconditional love no matter how many times we have screwed up or wronged him. He is so wonderful.

Yesterday in class John - our school leader talked about the parable "The prodigal son" which he claims is the stupidest title for that parable. It should be something about the "forgiveness by the loving father." Or something along those lines. Then he turned it into an application time to pray for and forgive the earthly fathers that have hurt us - because that is not the type of Father God is. So many times people's views of God the Father is messed up by the example they had of their earthly fathers. I was definitely bawling during this teaching because I was taken back to my childhood, and the amazing love of my dad. I remembered a famous quote that he said to me at least once everyday, and still does quite often today. After he would get back from work he would find me or we'd be talking or whatever and he'd go "Britney Kaye," "yes dad?" "I'm glad you're my daughter" Seriously he said this so many times to reaffirm his unconditional love for me. Though at the time it became routine in my mind for him to say things like this, I'm realizing now that he has spared me so many wounds that others have. He of course didn't just say this to me, but also my younger sister, older sister and older brother. He is so loving. I am so blessed.

Thanks dad for being such a loving example of Christ in each of your children's lives. Your love means more than you may ever know. I LOVE YOU.

No comments: